Zoom is a cloud solution, i.e. the software is operated by the provider. However, Münster University has concluded a contract for commissioned data processing with this provider which has been thoroughly assessed by the Data Protection Commissioner. This ensures that the strict data protection regulations of the GDPR are complied with. In addition, the CIT administrators will make appropriate settings which further increase the software's level of data protection compared with the standard settings.
Due to the immense popularity that Zoom has gained through the Corona crisis, the service is currently highly focused by the public, also in terms of data protection. On the one hand, this means that attempts at misuse (such as wilful disruption of video conferences) are on the increase, but on the other hand, possible weaknesses of the software are detected and can be remedied more quickly by the provider. For example, Zoom has recently reacted very quickly to criticism and hints and fixed potential weak points. The provider has meanwhile recognised the high importance of the topic, especially for European users, and is making efforts to improve transparency and user confidence through numerous measures.
We consider Zoom via the University of Münster license to be uncritical in terms of data protection for the following reasons:
- Contract for commissioned data processing between University of Münster and Zoom guarantees GDPR conformity
- Many potentially critical functions disabled by CIT administration (e.g. login via Facebook)
- Meetings are TLS-encrypted and can be protected against misuse (so-called Zoom bombing) by numerous Zoom features (password, waiting room approval, secret room ID etc.)
- CIT has access to audit reports from Zoom
- Zoom quickly fixes known vulnerabilities and will focus exclusively on security features in the coming months
For those who still have concerns about using Zoom, we offer various alternatives, operated by the CIT itself or by DFN. However, these differ from Zoom in terms of functionality and quality and are therefore more suitable for meetings with few participants.
ZOOM X: Security Settings & Functions
Zoom: Background Information on Data Protection and Security