Information for Exchange Students
© Photo-Beagle/

Information for Exchange Students

Exchange Students who wish to register for classes with the English Department, please sign up to our Learnweb folder “ED incomings” (password: “English”) once you are officially enrolled at the University of Münster. On Learnweb, you will find a list of classes to choose from, you can upload your language certificate and you can book an online appointment for class registration. There will be no registration after the official start of classes.

  • General information

    • Academic calendar:
      The academic year is divided into two semesters. The winter semester always runs from 1 October to 31 March; the summer semester from 1 April to 30 September.
      Within these semester times, the exact dates for the start and end of teaching and exam periods vary slightly from year to year:

      Winter term:
      Start of teaching: approx. 2nd week of October
      End of teaching: approx. 1st week of February
      Exams: usually in February after the end of the teaching period

      Summer term:
      Start of teaching: approx. 1st/2nd week of April
      End of teaching: approx. mid-/late July
      Exams: usually in July/August after the end of the teaching period

      The precise dates for individual semesters can be found  on this website with important dates.
      Exception: Language courses start approx. 2 weeks before the regular teaching term. For exact dates, check the academic calendar of the University's Language Centre.
    • Admission:
      For details on current deadlines, please consult the website of the International Office.
    • Enrolment, fees, and withdrawal:
      Enrolment dates are indicated on your admission documents.
      To enrol, you will need two passport photos, proof of health insurance and approximately € 350 for the student services fee.
      For more information on enrolment and withdrawal procedures, please see the websites  Academic Administration and International Office.
    • Languages:
      All courses at the English Department are taught through the medium of English. Outside the English Department, most of the university's staff and students also know English to some extent. Nonetheless, the language of instruction outside the English Department is usually German, though some courses there may also be offered in English and other languages.
    • Moreover, most of the University's administration uses German as its main working language. Although various services, websites and forms are also available in English, there are also many important documents, forms and titles that are only available in German. We thus recommend that you take some time to acquire at least a basic knowledge of German, which will help you with your studies and with daily life in the city. Münster University's Language Centre offers intensive German language courses for exchange students at the beginning of the term, as well as a large variety of German courses during the term. Information on, and application forms for, the intensive German language courses will be sent to all incoming Erasmus students, either with the letter of acceptance or via e-mail. Non-Erasmus students may also attend courses at the University's Language Centre.
    • Info sheets for incoming exchange students:

    Non-partner universities

    Erasmus-partner universities

    Non EU-partner universities


    Further information and practical advice on many aspects of student life can be obtained from the University’s International Office.

  • Contact information

    The English Department's Student Advisory Service  is responsible for general questions on studying English in Münster.

    Student Advisory Service for Exchange Students
    English Department, University of Münster
    Johannisstraße 12–20
    48143 Münster
    Tel.:  +49 (0)251 83 25613

    The English Department is in building #14 on the university campus map (pdf)

    Münster University's International Office can provide you with useful information on application procedures and all practical aspects of student life, such as counselling, studying, extracurricular activities, accommodation, working and bank accounts:

    International Office
    Schlossplatz 3
    48149 Münster
    Tel.: +49 251 83-22215
    Fax: +49 251 83-22226

    The Exchange Student Service (Schlossplatz 3, e-mail: will help you with all the formalities.

  • FAQ

    As an exchange student, how long can I stay?

    One or two semesters. For the precise term dates, see the "academic calendar" information above.

    What level can exchange students study at?

    Bachelor's and Master's level.

    Which fees do I have to pay?

    All students, including exchange students, have to pay a "social contribution" for student services and the "semester ticket" (public transport) of approx. € 350 per semester.

    What are the options for student housing?

    For questions concerning accommodation in Münster, please follow the advice given by the International Office.

    What is the full-time workload?

    Normally, c.30 ECTS credits per semester.

    Where can I find the course catalogue?

    To access the course catalogue ("Vorlesungsverzeichnis"), please visit our course overview website.

    The course catalogue for the winter term is usually published in June; the one for the summer term is usually published in December .

    If you are an Erasmus student, please contact your departmental Erasmus coordinator for further information on lectures and credits.

    Do you accept students from other subject areas than the ones specified in the formal Erasmus exchange agreements?

    As a general rule, this may be possible. Please contact the Exchange Student Service beforehand.

    Which courses are available to Erasmus students?

    Sometimes, the English Department offers special courses for exchange students. In other cases, we are able to integrate exchange students into courses that are also open to degree-seeking students. In general, we try to offer students considerable leeway to define their own study targets and follow their personal interests. However, as the number of students in some courses is limited, no student (whether from Münster or from an exchange programme like Erasmus) can be guaranteed the right to attend a specific course.

    Further information on course availability can be found on our info sheets for incoming exchange students.

    Please contact the English Department's exchange student advisory, to discuss your study plan and learning agreement before you join any classes.

    Course choices in other departments are to be coordinated with the respective student advisors there.

    Are there special activities for Erasmus students?

    Yes. The Erasmus team organises several Erasmus activities during the whole academic year, such as excursions, parties, an Erasmus cinema and a European Dinner. Further information is available on the  website of Erasmus Münster e.V.

    Is there an orientation week for new students? 

    The Exchange Student Service offers an International Welcome Week.

    In addition, our Department’s M.A. programmes have their own Orientation Week for both domestic and exchange students at the start of their 1st semester.

    How many ECTS credits can I get per course?

    ERASMUS students receive 5 ECTS credits for each successfully passed course. It may be possible to achieve extra credit through additional assignments – please ask the respective professor or teacher.

    What are the arrangements for assessments and grading?

    The assessment methods vary and may include written exams, oral exams, essays, reports, term projects, or group work. Exams are normally scheduled for the last week of teaching, mid-term papers are due before Christmas or Pentecost breaks, end-of-term papers are due within 4 weeks of the subsequent term break.

    The German grading system is based on a scale from 1 to 5: 1 = excellent, 2 = good, 3 = satisfactory,  4 = pass, 5 = fail.
    This differentiated grading scale is not used for all courses / assignments, however. Sometimes we only distinguish between “pass” or “fail” grades.
    If you are an exchange student need a grade even where our local students only need a “pass” or “fail”, please contact your course teacher; normally we can arrange for a differentiated grade on request.