Course catalog & registration (HIS-LSF)
Our online course catalogue and course registration platform is called HIS-LSF.
The user interface is available in German and at least partly also in English.
Some of the HIS-LSF content (online course catalogue, read-only) can be accessed without a login; other functions (e.g. registering for courses) can only be accessed if you log on first (with your original ZIV user name and the current general password of your university e-mail account).
The HIS-LSF catalog of courses for the current semester can be found in the course catalogue.
To view courses for other semesters, simply click on the semester information in the top right-hand corner of the HIS-LSF user interface; this will lead to a list of links for the other semesters.
Course registration: To obtain places in seminars, lectures and other courses, students need to register their interest in each of these courses on HIS-LSF in advance. There are fixed registration periods for this, which are always announced on the English Department’s website and noticeboards. The reason why we have this online registration system is that there are often several parallel courses or groups on offer for each course type; so if one course/group is over-booked, students can easily be allocated to another course/group of the same type. Once the registration period is over, HIS-LSF assesses all the course applications it has received, allocates places, and redistributes students if courses are overbooked. The results of the course allocation can be seen a few days later – if they log on to the system, students can see which courses they have obtained.
The dates of the current HIS-LSF registration period can be found on our News website.
This is how the HIS-LSF registration procedure works in detail:
1. Please re-check the regulations of your degree programme (Prüfungsordnung) to find out which modules and courses you need to take, and when you need to take them. All our degree regulations can be accessed via the overview of degree programmes: if you click on your degree programme, this will lead you to a website where you will find a link called Prüfungsordnung. If you click on this and then find several documents (i.e. the original regulations plus later modifications called Änderungsordnungen), please make sure to consult both the original and the Änderungsordnungen, as the latter are often only partial replacements, not a complete new version – for anything not covered by the Änderungsordnungen, you still need to follow the original. If you have any questions on the requirements after reading these documents, please consult the English Department’s Student Advisory Service.
It is important you know your requirements before you start the online registration process because the online system will not spot mistakes automatically (e.g. if you forget a course or choose the wrong one); it is your own responsibility to make the right choices.
2. Go to the HIS-LSF website: https://uvlsf.uni-muenster.de/qisserver/
3. Log on with your central WWU user name & password.
4. Click on “Veranstaltungen”/“Course overview”, then on “Philologie” (philology), and then on “Englisches Seminar” (English Department).
5. Scroll down and click on your degree programme.
6. Click on a module for which you’d like to get a course.
7. Within that module, click on the course type you need (e.g ‘lecture’, ‘seminar’, etc.).
8. If there are different courses on offer for the same course type, and you’re not sure which one(s) you’d like best, reading the course description(s) on LSF might help you decide.
9. To apply for a class you’d like to take, click on “belegen/anmelden” / “apply”.
10. Confirm your choice.
11. If there is more than one course/group available for each course type (e.g. different groups for the same Grundkurs, or different seminars for your Aufbaumodul), please register for more than one option – this way, if one course/group is overbooked, we can assign you to another one. If you only select one out of several options, the software will automatically reject your application. Thus, if there are two options to choose from, select both. If there are three or more options, select three. Place these registrations in order of preference – the first option you select will be registered as your first choice, the next one as your second choice, etc. The system will then first try to place you in the course / group of your first choice, and only give you the second or third option if the first one is already full.
Try to avoid timetable overlaps as far as possible because the system is technically unable to detect them by itself; however, if overlaps cannot be avoided (e.g. because otherwise you won’t be able to select three courses/groups of the same type), it is best to register for overlapping courses rather than not registering at all. If, in the end, the system does allocate overlapping courses to you, it will be possible to try some manual troubleshooting afterwards, but these possibilities are limited, and following the guidelines given here will help to minimise the number of such cases and ensure that the process runs as smoothly as possible.
Special case: Praxisbegleitende Studien for the Praxissemester (PBS)
Please pay special attention to avoiding overlaps when registering for your PBS seminars. Before registering for any PBS seminar, thoroughly consider the dates of all PBS seminars. This includes both dates from your second subject and Bildungswissenschaften as well as the four dates of PBS preparatory courses and the two so-called Studientage.
12. Repeat steps 6-11 until you have made registrations for all the course types you need for that particular semester.
If you have registered for a course and then change your mind, please remember to withdraw your registration as soon as possible, so that your place can be given to someone else if needed. If your decision to withdraw is made before the end of the HIS-LSF registration phase, you can register your withdrawal directly on HIS-LSF. If your decision to withdraw happens afterwards, i.e. when the allocation of places is already finished, please send an e-mail to the course teacher, who will then withdraw your name from the online course list himself/herself.
If you wish to attend a course that is not part of your degree program’s requirements, i.e. if you wish to attend as a ‘guest’ (= Gasthörer), you cannot apply for that course on HIS-LSF; instead, please wait until the start of the semester, i.e. after all students who may need this course have already been given a place, and then ask the course teacher if there are still places available for Gasthörer, and if yes, whether they are willing to admit you.
Please also note that the HIS-LSF platform and registrations described above should not be confused with our other registration platform, QIS-POS. Although the two platforms are partly linked, look very similar and can be reached via the same website, they have different functions and separate registration procedures:
• HIS-LSF is for the online course catalog and the distribution of places on a course.
• QISPOS is for the administration of course credits and grades.
Students must register on both systems separately; i.e. first they register on HIS-LSF, and if they get a place on that course, then there will be a second registration phase (which will usually start some weeks after that course has already started) during which they sign up on QIS-POS, to enable us to enter their credits and grades for this course later. More information on QIS-POS can be found below.