Changing degree programmes
Students already enrolled at the University of Münster who wish to change their degree programme, or one or more subjects of study, can submit a corresponding request to the Student Admissions Office. Your student status (as defined by the Universities Act) remains unaffected; you keep your student ID number and all login data of your university account.
If you wish to change or add a degree programme/subject of study, you must re-register for the following semester after the successful application. Receipt of payment of the semester fee must be confirmed in the fee account (Gebührenkonto) on the re-registration portal. Students can re-register for the summer semester at the beginning of January, and the winter semester at the beginning of July. The semester certificates which you receive following re-registration will be replaced by new ones after you change your degree programme and can be printed as desired from the re-registration portal.
Restricted-admission degree programmes or subjects
If the change to your degree programme involves enrolling in a restricted-admission subject, you must submit a written request to the Student Admissions Office within the prescribed period indicated in the letter of admission. If you haven't re-registered yet (i.e. paid the semester fee), you must immediately transfer payment to ensure that the change/addition to your degree programme is legally binding. Please consult the letter of admission for any required documents which you should submit or send to us.
Non-restricted degree programmes and subjects
Changes and additions to existing degree programmes must be requested in person or by an authorised representative. Students must provide proof of identity by presenting either their student ID or an official photo ID (personal ID card, driving licence or passport). Authorised representatives must likewise confirm that their identity corresponds to the person granted power of attorney in a statement signed by the student.
As a rule, changes and additions can only be effected following re-registration and no later than the last Friday before the beginning of the lecture period.
- Changing to a doctoral programme is only possible until 15 June for the summer semester and 30 November for the winter semester.
- Changing from a teaching degree bachelor's programme to a Master of Education programme is only possible until mid-May for the summer semester and mid-November for the winter semester.
- Changing to an academic-theoretical master's programme is only permitted if the candidate has applied for admission within the prescribed application period and has been granted admission to the programme. Otherwise, enrolment in an academic-theoretical master's programme is not possible.
- Law students may register for the Foreign Language Training for Lawyers (FFA) programme until the end of April for the summer semester and until the end of October for the winter semester. Candidates must submit the C-Test or letter of recognition (or admission) by the FFA Office.
Higher semester enrolment
To change to a higher semester in a non-restricted degree programme or subject, students must submit a certificate issued by the degree course advisor, confirming recognition of academic achievement (placement). For higher-semester enrolment in a restricted-admission degree programme or subject, students must submit or send all documents listed in the letter of admission.
Cooperation students and visiting students
Students in the cooperative bachelor's programmes BAB or BB who have paid the semester fee to the Münster University of Applied Sciences (FH) until now, and wish to change to a Master of Education programme, must submit their Center for Teacher Education (ZfL) certificate, their bachelor's degree, a de-registration certificate from the University of Applied Sciences and proof of health insurance coverage. Visiting students who wish to change their status to regular enrolment must also submit a de-registration certificate and proof of health insurance coverage.
Cancelling a degree programme
It is possible to cancel a degree programme at any time. Cancellation can be retroactively effected until midterm. The student, however, is not permitted to complete any required coursework or examinations in that semester. Concluded degree programmes are not automatically cancelled. In accordance with § 7 par. 2 of the Enrolment Regulations of the University of Münster, you must request to cancel or change your degree programme, or de-register (exmatriculate) no later than the last day of the semester during which you received your degree.
Cancellation of one programme does not affect the continuation of your other degree programme(s). To cancel a programme, please submit a written request (printed request form), a self-addressed stamped envelope and, if applicable, an officially authenticated copy of your degree certificate, or certificate confirming completion of your degree programme (with date and final grade).
Whenever we ask you to submit written applications or requests, you must also provide a self-addressed envelope with sufficient postage so that we can send you confirmation of your requested change, new semester certificates (if necessary) and return your submitted documents.
If you have completed the degree programme in question, please include an authenticated copy of your degree certificate.
If you wish to change to a doctoral programme, please submit confirmation of doctoral supervision or the letter of admission from the doctoral examination board or dean of the corresponding faculty.
Students who wish to cancel enrolment in any of the following subjects are required to present or send a confirmation of release (Entlastungsbescheinigung) from the respective faculty/institute.
- Pharmacy (Institute of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Corrensstr. 48)
- Music/Music Practice and New Media and Musicology (Institute of Musicology and Music Education, Philippistr. 2)
- Didactics of Geography, Geography, Geoinformatics and Landscape Ecology (Geosciences I adm. office, Heisenbergstr. 2, Rm. 3)
- Dentistry (available from the administrative office (Ms. I. Weers) issued by Prof. Dr. P. Scheutzel, academic coordinator in Dentistry, Waldeyerstr. 30, 48149 Münster)
Confirmation of release from the Faculty of Geosciences [de] (then click on "Studierende")