Non-EU/EEA applicants without a European university entrance qualification

Your application requires the following steps:

  1. You have to apply online for all restricted and non-restricted bachelor's degree programmes in the first semester via our online application during the application period. You may apply for up to three bachelor's degree programmes in one online application.
  2. After submitting your online application, you will receive an email with an attached check sheet (PDF file). In the e-mail, you will be informed about your application number and all the steps that are now necessary for a complete application on time.
  3. You log in the info portal of your application.
  4. You have to upload all required documents for your respective applications within the application deadline. The respective deadline is indicated on your check sheet.
  5. Your application is complete as soon as you have uploaded all of the required degree-programme specific documents. Now you can no longer access or exchange your uploaded documents. If you need to exchange an uploaded document, you have to contact the Student Admissions Office.

You will be asked to upload the following documents:

  • School leaving certificate/secondary school certificate/previous education certificates
  • Certificate of sufficient German language proficiency (depending on the degree programme)

Please note that additional documents must also be uploaded, such as:

  • When attending a Studienkolleg: the assessment test from the German Studienkolleg
  • For study periods: transcript of university records
  • With a completed university degree: university degree certificate
  • Applicants from China, India or Vietnam: APS certificate

If your certificates are issued in a language other than German or English, please upload the document in original language together with an official translation of this in German or English in one PDF file up to 2 MB.

The certificate of the passed assessment test and the proof of sufficient German language skills can be submitted later if an application is submitted in due form and time. Deadline for subsequent submission is July 15 for a winter semester and January 15 for a summer semester. Please send the late submissions by e-mail, stating your applicant number.

As part of your online application, you confirmed that you regulary check your application status in the info portal of your application. We recommend that you log in the info portal of your application at least once a week.