Master of Education

You have to apply for admission to enrol in a Master of Education programme at the first or higher semester. Before applying, we recommend that you learn more about our current programmes and their respective application deadlines. All degree programmes begin in both the summer and winter semesters.

To apply for the Master of Education programme you need to have at least 120 credit points in your bachelor's programme. You also need a certificate listing your average grades in each subject of study. Please note, that all the necessary documents need to be there until the application deadline ends.

View our current degree programmes [de]

Application deadlines

  • First-semester enrolment

    Your application for first-semester enrolment is comprised of the following steps:

    1. You begin by applying for all restricted and non-restricted degree programmes for first-semester enrolment via our Application Portal.
    2. After submitting your online application, you will receive email confirmation that the University has received your application along with an attached check sheet (Kontrollblatt) which you can save onto your computer.
    3. You log onto the Info Portal.
    4. You upload all required documents necessary for processing your respective applications (except for Educational Studies and Primary School Education Subject Areas I and II) within the application period. The documents do not need do be certified, a scan/picture (as a PDF-file) of the original document is acceptable.
    5. Your application is complete as soon as you have uploaded all of the degree-programme specific documents and these have been reviewed by the Student Admissions Office. We recommend that you regularly check the status of your application on the Info Portal. At this stage you can no longer access or exchange your uploaded documents. If you need to exchange a document, you must do this through the Student Admissions Office.

    You will be asked to upload the following documents:

    • bachelor's certificate, degree certificate or Transcript of Records listing your average grades in each subject of study
    • confirmation that you have completed a career orientation work placement lasting at least one month
    • confirmation that you have completed an extracurricular/school-oriented occupational field work placement lasting at least four weeks
    • confirmation of language knowledge in two foreign languages, or if applying for a Master of Education BK with a professionally qualifying subject, confirmation of language knowledge in one foreign language
    • self-assessment certificate ( [de])
    • in certain subjects in Master of Education GymGe programmes, we also require confirmation of additional foreign language skills [de].

    You will find more information about the necessary documents in the upload area in the Info Portal.

    Read the checklist carefully for instructions as to whether you must sign the form and return it to us via post along with other additional documents. This could apply if your application falls under a special case.

    If you did not earn your bachelor's degree in accordance with the NRW Teacher Training Act (LABG NRW 2009/2016), you must include an attestation of equivalence with your application. For more information, please contact the Student Admissions Office.

  • Higher-semester enrolment

    The application procedure corresponds to that of first-semester enrolment.

    The only difference is that you will also have to upload a semester certificate or placement certificate for each subject of study.

    You can request a placement certificate from the respective degree course advisor.

    Contact information of degree course advisors [de]