1. Name and address of the responsible controller
The responsible controller as defined in the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and other national data protection laws of the EU member states as well as other data protection-related provisions is:
Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster (WWU) / University of Münster (WWU)
represented by its Rector, Prof Dr Johannes Wessels,
Schlossplatz 2, 48149 Münster, Germany
Tel: + 49 251 83-0
If you have any questions regarding personal data in admissions process, please contact the staff at the Student Admissions Office:
University of Münster (WWU), Student Admissions Office, Schlossgarten 3, 48149 Münster, service hotline: + 49 251 83-20001, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Name and address of the data protection officer
The contact details from the data protection officer are:
Department of data protection
Schlossplatz 2, 48149 Münster, Germany
Tel.: + 49 251 83-22446
3. Data processing in connection with applications for admission to the University of Münster
Scope of data processing
In order to properly process your application for admission to the University of Münster, we process the data which you have provided via the online application portal. This information includes:
(1) First and last name
(4) Place and date of birth
(5) Email address
(7) Choice of subject(s) of study
(8) Grade and date of your university entrance qualification (secondary school-leaving certificate)
(9) Other admission prerequisites which apply to your desired subject(s) of study
(10) Prior academic history
Purpose of processing
The personal data listed above is collected in order to verify whether you meet the legally mandated prerequisites for studying your choice of subject(s), facilitating the further processing of your application and keeping you informed about the status and final result of the application procedure.
Legal basis for processing personal data
Whenever the processing of personal data is required to ensure compliance with a legal regulation to which the University of Münster is subject or to enable the University to perform a task in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority conferred upon the University, Art. 6 (1 c, e) and (3, 1) GDPR, §§ 49, 50 of the NRW Higher Education Act (HG NRW), the State Treaty governing university admissions, the Regulations for the Allocation of Study Places in North Rhine‐Westphalia (Vergabeverordnung NRW) as well as the admissions regulations of the University of Münster (WWU) serve as the legal basis for processing this data.
Further recipients of your personal data
The personal information processed in connection with your application is forwarded to the following recipients at and outside the University of Münster:
Recipients at the University of Münster:
- Legal Affairs Department in cases of legal conflicts resulting from admission decisions
- Faculty admissions offices for those applying for admission to non-teaching master’s degree programmes
- German as a Foreign Language department for those applying for admission to the German language course
Recipients outside the University of Münster:
- Foundation for University Admissions for those applying for admission via DoSV (Dialogue‐Oriented Service Procedure)
Duration of storage of personal data
All personal data provided in connection with your application is erased after two years from the date of the application.
4. Your rights as a data subject
You have the right to information about your personal data processed by the University of Münster (Art. 15 GDPR), the right to rectification of personal data (Art. 16 GDPR), the right to erasure (Art. 17 GDPR), the right to restriction of processing (Art. 18 GDPR) and the right to objection of processing (Art. 21 GDPR).
You also have the right to raise an objection with the supervisory authority. The responsible supervisory authority is the Landesbeauftragte für Datenschutz und Informationsfreiheit Nordrhein-Westfalen, Postfach 20 04 44, 40102 Düsseldorf, tel: +49 211 38424-0, email: email@example.com.