Mathematics at the University of Münster, as it is united in this Profile Area, has undergone an exceptional development in recent years, positioning itself as one of the most dynamic research environments for mathematics in Germany. The Profile Area covers the whole range from theoretical to applied mathematics, and fosters a culture of mathematical innovation. It is supported by internationally renowned research groups, which specialize in areas such as mathematical logic, arithmetic geometry and representation theory, algebraic and differential topology, operator algebras and non-commutative geometry, differential geometry, analysis and theory of partial differential equations, stochastic analysis and probability theory, modeling and applied analysis, mathematical imaging and optimization, as well as numerical analysis, machine learning, and scientific computing.
Awarded numerous research prizes and with a Cluster of Excellence at its center, the Profile Area “Mathematics” pursues questions of fundamental importance with multiple interconnections, serving as a key technology for scientific, economic and social progress. It maintains well-established links to the life sciences as well as to physics, chemistry, and computer science. With the competitively acquired research building Centre of Mathematics Münster (CMM), a mathematical research center with international appeal is currently being built in a central location of the university. It is designed to promote the integration of mathematical sub-disciplines and to create opportunities for new disciplinary and interdisciplinary interactions.
Spotlights: Teaching and transfer
- Collaboration with the Fraunhofer High Performance Center for Simulation- and Software-Based Innovation
- Research projects in public-private partnership
- Open source software development (DUNE, pyMOR)
- Public Events
- Joint supervision of bachelor’s and master’s theses with industry and business
- Science communication programmes with a whole range of programmes for pupils, teachers, prospective students, the general public, as well as researchers across disciplines.
- International master’s programme in mathematics with a scholarship programme for international students; Mathematics Münster Master Day – online info event for undergraduates about the MSc Mathematics study programme
- Mathematics Münster Graduate School (MMGS) with a highly visible and competitive doctoral programme
- Young African Mathematicians (YAM) programmein collaboration with AIMS centres and three other clusters of excellence in mathematics
- Joint seminars across mathematical disciplines
Infrastructures and research centres