Part-time jobs

Many students work part-time during their studies. Job offers – also for students – are regularly published in the regional daily papers (Westfälische Nachrichten, Münstersche Zeitung) and the local event magazines/gazettes (e.g. Na Dann, Ultimo, GIG). The latter publications are available in many of the University's institutes, dining halls and bistros.

Student assistants

Student assistant positions (studentische Hilfskraft, or SHK) are especially popular among students at the University of Münster. Such positions are regularly offered in the faculties, institutes and various facilities of the University. SHK openings are usually posted on the websites of the corresponding institutes/facilities and on the University message boards (Schwarze Bretter). There is also a webpage of current job openings at the University of Münster, though, please bear in mind that not all SHK positions are listed there.

View current job openings at the University of Münster [de]

University of Münster Career Portal

On the University of Münster Career Portal (UNIKAP.MS), students can either find job offers, or set up their own professional profile so that companies can find them. The job listings include work placements, student traineeships and graduate positions.

Visit UNIKAP.MS [de]

Implications for one's health, pension and social insurance contributions

Please bear in mind that your student job can have implications for your health, pension and social insurance contributions as well as your tax obligation. Depending on the extent of your earnings, you may require a tax identification number and a pension insurance number. You can request a tax ID number from the Tax Office of the City of Münster, and a pension insurance number from your health insurance provider.

For more information, see the brochure published by the NRW Finance Administration [de]

The possible effects of a student job on your health, pension and social insurance situation, as well as your tax obligation are explained in further detail on the website of the Deutsches Studentenwerk:

"Jobben" webpage of the Deutsches Studierendenwerk [de]

Foreign students from non-EU nations are only allowed to work a maximum of 120 days (or 240 half-days) per year during their studies. Please observe any restrictions or requirements indicated in your residence permit. However, as a rule, no restrictions apply to part-time student jobs at the university, i.e. student or research assistant positions.