Disability-related additional costs

Disability-related additional costs refer to the higher costs of studying which arise as a result of having a disability. In addition to expenses directly related to studying (academically related additional costs), such as individual technical aids, personal study assistants, sign language interpreters and mobility aids, these also include non-academic additional costs, e.g. special meals, health care etc. Such expenses are not taken into account in the cost-of-living assessment used as the basis for BAFöG grants or scholarships. In order to pay for such disability-related additional costs, students have to submit an application to their health and long-term care insurance provider or regional social welfare office.

Academically related additional costs

For students of the University of Münster whose place of residence lies in the region of Westfalen-Lippe, the regional social welfare provider Landschaftsverband Westfalen-Lippe (LWL) is responsible for granting funding to offset academically related additional costs. Funding for integration measures is approved with respect to the financial circumstances of the applicant (exemption limit).

Before submitting the application, we recommend speaking with the Student Advice and Counselling Centre (ZSB [de]) first. The staff there can help you assess the demands of your degree programme and the corresponding support services for which you should apply and inform you about any resources already available at the University. To ensure that you receive financial aid as soon as you commence your studies, you should apply for funding when you apply for admission to university or as soon as you are allocated a study place. To apply for funding for academically related additional costs, please submit the following documents (copies only):

  • Informal letter providing justification for the aids and assistance you will likely need to complete your studies as a result of your impairment 
  • Proof of (intended) enrolment in a degree programme at the University of Münster (letter of admission, confirmation of application, certificate of enrolment)
  • Statement by a medical specialist describing the extent and effects of the impairment. A diagnosis is not required but can be helpful for processing your application.
  • Social welfare application with information detailing your financial circumstances. You can download the application form the website of the Landschaftsverband Westfalen-Lippe (LWL) [de] or request to have one sent to you by post.
  • Certificate of university entrance qualification (e.g. Abitur certificate, secondary school-leaving certificate)
  • Certificates of prior schooling and career stages (e.g. completed professional training)

Even if you have not collected all the required documents, it is preferable to submit your application earlier than later as processing can sometimes take a long time.

Send your application by post to:
LWL – Behindertenhilfe Westfalen
48133 Münster (Postfach)