QISPOS Registration Period
The registration period for examintion and course assignments in the summer semester 2022 is from 19.4.2021 - 14.6.2021. Please register in QISPOS within this period. You can find more information here: PDF Qispos-instructions summer semester 2022, PDF QISPOS guidelines for students.
Master in Social Anthropology: FAQ and Learnweb Tutorial
FAQ MA-Thesis Supervision
FAQ MA Mod 8
Because of the covid-19 situation, oral defense of the Master Thesis in Mod. 8 may be held via a video conference (zoom). Mod. 8 is taught by Prof. Helene Basu or Prof. Dorothea Schulz, one of whom will conduct the viva. The oral defense of the thesis concludes Mod 8 and cannot be attended before the writing process of the thesis starts. Please contact Ms. Osterheider for further information.
Master in Social Anthropology/Sozialanthropologie
Social anthropology looks at diverse socio-cultural lifeworlds. Social anthropologists explore human diversity, cultural similarities and differences, and modes of communication. Taking history into account, social anthropology is grounded in ethnography subjected to theoretical analyses and description. Social anthropological knowledge facilitates cross- and intercultural understandings. The programme encourages reflexivity and ethically responsible research practices. The 4 semester curriculum entails three types of modules imparting knowledge of anthropological theories, fieldwork methods/research project development and regional ethnographic knowledge.
Language of instruction: English (non-obligatory courses may be taught in German).
- Knowledge of human diversity Anthropological perspectives of socio-cultural practices and processes of change
- Conceptual and methodological qualifications in designing and conducting ethnographic research projects
- Culture sensitive approaches in pluralistic social settings
- Skills of mediation and transcultural communication
Chances and perspectives
The M.A. Programme in Social Anthropology is a prerequisite for the PhD and prepares for a number of professional fields such as:
- research and teaching at universities and other institutions of higher education
- international development and peace and conflict research
- museums and exhibition activities
- media and publishing
- youth and adult education; inter-cultural education
- culture management and cultural mediation
- public relations, advertising, tourism
- organisation and market research
Start: Winter Semester (October)
For German, EU-citizens and NON- EU citizens: Deadline for applications is 15th July 2022.
NON-EU citizens: Application opens 1st week of May. An early application is recommended.
Applicants have to submit all documents online. Applicants will have to submit original documents at the time of enrolment.
Contact at the Institute of Ethnology / student advisor:
Dr. Souleymane Diallo (firstname.lastname@example.org/ open office hours by zoom: tba)
Please note: Questions concerning the application procedure and the formalities Can ALSO be asked at the Student Admissions Office