Types of study visits and internships abroad


© free license
  • mandatory or voluntary?

    Bachelor's students in teaching degree programmes who are majoring in a modern foreign language (English, French, Spanish, Italian, Dutch) are required to complete a three-month foreign study visit or internship. You can find the corresponding module in your examination regulations. Further information here Compulsory stay abroad [de]

    Apart from that, a stay abroad (study or internship) can of course also be of a voluntary nature - certainly always a plus on your CV!

    We would be happy to advise you on both options, just get in touch with us.

  • unpaid or paid?


    Unpaid stays abroad

    • Internship at one of our Partner schools
    • Internship at one school you've found by yourself
    • Practical semester abroad
    • At some partner schools, mostly outside of Europe, there is no board to pay (or very cheap)


    Paid stays abroad

    • Teacher Assistent in den USA mit Amity: freie Unterkunft und Verpflegung, 150 $ Taschengeld im Monat
    • funded internship with Schulwärts
    • USA: das Programm Meet young Germany in your Classroom (1000 Euro im Monat) vom PAD
    • as Assistent teacher with the PAD (Pädagogischer Austauschdienst) (700-1000 Euro per month)
      Für das Programm können Sie auch gerne im ZfL beraten werden.
    • with the  Klaus-Kinkel-Stipendium from PAD (for natural scientists)
    • Work contract at the GESS in Singapur (Partner school) (1500 Singapur Dollar per month)


  • Internship at a school

    Dare to change your perspective! An internship at a school abroad gives you a new perspective on the respective education systems and helps you to critically reflect on your ideas about your future career as a teacher in Germany from the distance that an internship abroad brings. There are various forms of school-based internships. Before applying, you should decide what your specific goals are and what exactly you are looking for in an internship (voluntary, orientational internship, occupational field internship).

    School internship through the ZfL

    Whether lessons in German or English, whether primary or secondary school, whether in Europe or worldwide: thanks to our partner schools, we can offer everything. Get an overview here:

    ZfL partner schools

    School internships at foreign schools with German teaching requirement

    There are various types of foreign schools which offer German instruction. On the website of the PASCH programme (Schools: Partners of the Future), you can find information about German Schools Abroad (DAS), schools which offer the German Sprachdiplom, and schools partnered with the Goethe-Institut ("Fit" schools). Naturally, there are bilingual schools in many countries and schools that offer German as a regular subject of instruction.
    If you take a job as a foreign language teaching assistant, you will be expected to teach German at a school abroad. In addition to job advertisements posted by the schools themselves, various organisations (PAD, Fulbright) regularly look for teaching degree students who are interested in working as foreign language teaching assistants. The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) also offers students the possibility of working at a university as a German language teaching assistant.

    School internships through the PASCH initiative [de]
    School internships through the Goethe-Institut [de]
    Foreign language teaching assistance in general [de]
    Fulbright Scholarship for the USA [de]
    DAAD German language teaching assistant program [de]

  • Study abroad at a university


    As a teaching degree candidate, you have the possibility of studying abroad through an Erasmus partnership in your faculty or in the Educational Studies departments. We recommend contacting the respective Erasmus coordinator and your degree course advisor to determine whether and to what extent you can study other subjects at the partner university and how to ensure that your academic achievement is recognised in Münster.


    For more information on study abroad opportunities, visit the website of the International Office: International Office

    In addition, the ZfL has a foreign partner university in its program: The Hyogo University of Teacher Education (Japan) offers teaching students the opportunity to spend 1-2 semesters abroad. HUTE is a renowned pedagogical university and is also the ideal starting point for exploring the diverse region of Kansai. Since HUTE has various affiliated schools and an affiliated kindergarten, practical phases and a deeper insight into the Japanese education and school system are possible in addition to courses at the university. More information here, see "universities abroad":  Hyogo University of Teacher Education

  • Other internships and stays abroad

    Extra-curricular internship:

    You always have the option of completing an internship outside of the school environment, e.g. as part of an occupational field internship based on your subjects of study or in the area of Educational Studies. This enables you to gain professional, extracurricular experience. One day, when you are working as a full-fledged teacher, you will be able to use this knowledge to advise your pupils when they are considering their career wishes. And such internships can possibly lead to new career opportunities for you, as well. Organizational advice and contact regarding an ocupational field internship: ZfL-internship office [de]

    Summer schools etc.:

    In addition to the forms of study abroad and internships listed above, you can also attend international summer schools, complete a foreign research visit or write your thesis in a foreign country. If you are interested in more information, please contact the International Office: International Office

    International voluntary services:

    There are various organisations, commercial providers and public agencies (e.g. federal ministries), through which you can complete a period of voluntary service abroad. There are short-term voluntary services (e.g. work camps and agricultural volunteering) and extended visits lasting longer than six months. Please bear in mind that commercial providers frequently charge fees, yet some non-profit organisations may charge fees for specific services as well. As a rule, you should always consider whether a self-organised internship could be a viable alternative.


Back to main page:  Student Mobility Support