Christine Fertig is assistant professor of modern and social history at the University of Münster. She holds a PhD degree in history and was appointed Juniorprofessor in December 2016. She studied family contracts and life courses in two North-western German rural communities in her master thesis. In her PhD, she applied social network analysis on comprehensive relational databases, examining the relevance of kinship and godparentage relations for cohesion of local societies and life chances of individuals. Intergenerational relations, marriage behaviour and family strategies have been another main focus of her work. More recently, she developed a new project on the arrival of exotic substances in Europe during seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. The construction of new fields of knowledge and the development of a new understanding of the human body and innovative possibilities of medical treatment are key issues of her second research area.
- History of family, kinship and godparentage
- Historical social network analysis
- Rural society and agricultural history
- History of body and medicalisation
- Exotic substances in early modern Europe
- Christine Fertig (2017), Stem families in Rural Northwestern Germany? Family systems, intergenerational relations and family contracts. The History of the Family http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1081602X.2016.1265571.
- Christine Fertig and Ulrich Pfister (2016), Coffee, Mind and Body. Global material culture and the eighteenth-century Hamburg import trade. In: Anne Gerritsen and Giorgio Riello (ed.), The Global Lives of Things. The material culture of connections in the early modern world. London:Routledge, 221-40.
- Christine Fertig and Margareth Lanzinger (ed.) (2016): Beziehungen, Vernetzungen, Konflikte. Perspektiven Historischer Verwandtschaftsforschung. Wien: Böhlau.
- Christine Fertig (2014), Soziale Netzwerke und Klassenbildung in der ländlichen Gesellschaft. Eine vergleichende Mikroanalyse (Westfalen, 1750–1874). Archiv für Sozialgeschichte 54, 25-53.
- Christine Fertig (2012): Familie, verwandtschaftliche Netzwerke und Klassenbildung im ländlichen Westfalen (1750-1874), Quellen und Forschungen zur Agrargeschichte Bd. 54. Stuttgart: Lucius&Lucius.
- Christine Fertig, (2009) Rural Society and Social Networks in Nineteenth-Century Westphalia: The Role of Godparenting in Social Mobility. Journal of Interdisciplinary History 39, 497-522