General questions about the corona virus

Last update: 26 October 2020

What should I do if I test positive for Covid-19? (26 October 2020)

Students should inform the University via, while employees can contact the relevant contact person in the Human Resources Department directly or via
Please also note the further information for students on the Web [en] and for staff in MyWWU [en].

I have symptoms of illness. What should I do? (26 October 2020)

If you detect any typical symptoms of COVID-19, go home immediately and contact your general practitioner. Please remain and work from home for as long as these symptoms persist.
Please also note the further information for students on the Web [en] and for staff in MyWWU [en].

What are the typical symptoms triggered by the coronavirus?

Just like other pathogens in respiratory diseases, an infection with the new coronavirus can lead to symptoms such as coughing, a head cold, a sore throat and a temperature. Some people affected also suffer from diarrhoea. In some patients, the virus appears to take a more severe form, leading to breathing problems and pneumonia. So far, death has been recorded primarily in the case of patients who were older and/or had already suffered from chronic underlying illnesses beforehand. The number of fatalities in which the disease was confirmed in laboratory tests is currently around one percent. For more detailed information, visit the websites of the Robert Koch Institute and the Federal Centre for Health Education.

How can you protect yourself from the disease?

As in the case of influenza and other respiratory diseases, observing the basic rules when coughing or sneezing, washing hands thoroughly and keeping at a distance from anyone with the disease (about 1 to 2 metres) also provides protection from any transmission of novel coronavirus. These measures are advisable everywhere and at all times, also with regard to influenza.

These questions and answers are taken from the [de] platfom of the Federal Centre for Health Education (BZgA). Information in English is provided at