The Rector signed University's Declaration of Participation in the German Rectors' Conference Transformative Agreement with Wiley as part of the DEAL project at the end of March 2019. This is a "Publish&Read" agreement for the years 2019 to 2021, which is intended to shape the transition from subscription-based to publication-based funding for the supply of scientific journals.
The contract has been extended until the end of 2023.
Members of the University of Münster have access to about 1,700 Wiley journals and the archive volumes from 1997 onwards.
As of 1.7.2019: if members of the University of Münster act as corresponding authors in these hybrid journals, these articles will appear as Open Access publications at no additional cost. Please note the information below regarding the article types covered by the contract.
For Gold Open Access jounrals there is a 20% discount on the Article Processing Charge (APC).
As of January 1st 2023 205 gold open access journals published by Hindawi have been added to the Wiley DEAL contract.
The full list of all journals covered by the contract is available via the DEAL website.
Journals that are published by Wiley on behalf of other publishing houses and that are not listed as “included” are not covered by the DEAL contract.
What does this mean for the funding of the articles you publish as a corresponding author in Wiley journals?
Under the terms of the transformative agreement, there is no direct invoicing with the authors. MPDL Services GmbH will issue collective invoices to the University of Münster at regular intervals.
- On the one hand, an invoice is issued for the Publish&Read fee for the approx. 1,700 hybrid Wiley journals. This amount is distributed to the ULB Münster and the departments according to the distribution principles mutually agreed upon by the University of Münster's License Commission.
- On the other hand, the bill for the costs of publications in Wiley and Hindawi Gold Open Access journals is split according to the regulation for the University's Publication Fund. Here, the ULB bears one third of up to €2,000 per article, the departments bear two thirds of the amount up to €2,000 as well as any costs per article exceeding this amount.
- Opt-out option: As an author, you also have the option of opting out of Open Access. Opting out, however, means that the article will be published in closed access and you will transfer exclusive rights to the publisher, which restricts you in the further use of your own work. The article itself would then only be visible worldwide to institutions with a subscription to the corresponding journal. Opting out does not lead to any cost reduction for University of Münster. We therefore urge you not to make use of this option.
- The contract covers only the article types "Primary research article" and "Review article"; other articles such as "Letter to the editor" are excluded.
- Any additional costs such as colour charges, page charges, cover charges or open-access-independent publication charges are not covered by the framework agreement and must be borne by the authors themselves.
- The DEAL consortium, which negotiated the transformation contract, provides information on these pages about what the contract means for you as an author.
If you published an article in a Wiley Gold Open Access Journal as a submitting author and not as a corresponding author you can apply for a reimbursement of the costs from the university's publication fund.