Funding for articles in open access journals
Funding from the open access publication fund is subject to the following conditions:
- The articles are published in "pure" open access journals: All articles of the journal are accessible to users free of charge via the Internet immediately upon publication.
Articles appearing in so-called hybrid journals – requiring subscription and offering "open access options" or "Open Choice" models) – or articles in Mirror Journals are not eligible.
- The journal applies the strict quality assurance procedures recognized in the respective subject.
For journals not listed in the Directory of Open Access Journals, the ULB reserves the right to assess individual cases.
Reimbursement for articles in journals showing signs of predatory publishing is not possible.
- Only articles for which a member of the University of Münster is responsible for paying the publication fees as "submitting author" or "corresponding author" will be funded.
- Since January 1st, 2023, funding for employees at teaching hospitals of the University of Münster who are not also members the University or the UKM is no longer possible.
Reimbursement for members of the Department of "Paediatric Orthopaedics, Deformity Reconstruction, Foot Surgery" of the University Hospital is not possible.
- The corresponding and submitting authors of the articles in question who are members of the University of Münster have to have an ORCID iD.
- Only such articles are funded that are published under a Creative Commons CC-BY license. If journals offer a choice between an in-house licence and a CC license, the CC one has to be choosen. This applies e.g. in case of the Journals of the Optica Publishing Group (formerly Optical Society of America (OSA)) or the Journals of the American Meterological Socienty (AMS).
- From 01.06.2022 on, there will be no limit on the amount of publication fees. The costs for all articles will be distributed to the ULB and the faculties in the following year according to the distribution principles determined by the License Commission of the University of Münster. The ULB bears one third of up to €2,000 per article, while the departments bear two thirds of the amount up to €2,000 as well as any costs above this per article.
- Only requests for refunds where the invoice date of the original invoice from the publisher is no more than 90 days ago can be considered.
- Articles funded by the publication fund must include a reference to the support (e.g., "We acknowledge support from the open access publication fund of the University of Münster.").
If your publication is part of a DFG-funded project, please contact us so that we can check whether funding from the publication fund is possible.
If you have published an article in an open access journal, you first have to pay the invoice and then submit a refunding request to the open access fund. If you have any questions, we are happy to help even before the article is published. Please note the following instructions regarding the process to ensure a speedy refund:
- You publish in an open access journal that meets the above mentioned requirements.
- Details for the invoice:
- Enter your name and your institute of the university or the clinical center with address as billing address.
- Please have the title of the article put on the invoice.
- Please make sure that invoices from other European countries do not include VAT and that the VAT number of the university (DE 126 118 759) or the UKM (DE 212 275 725) is noted.
- If you have not paid the bill through an institution account, but have made private advance payments, please note:
- We can only reimburse invoices issued to us by the UKM or an institute of the University of Münster. For you, this means: You must have the costs refunded by the UKM or your institute, and the UKM or your institute can then recover the costs through the fund.
- For reimbursement, send the documents to the ULB Münster (Krummer Timpen 3, 48143 Münster) for the attention of Dr. Viola Voß or Jessica Thomas. At the ULB, a formal check will be made once again to ensure that all conditions are met before payment is made. Please submit the following documents:
- an invoice for the refund of publication fees (Example)
- a copy of the original invoice from the publisher
- a proof of payment, e.g. credit card/booking receipt (incl. VAT payment).
If you have any questions regarding invoice details, please contact Mr. Rafalski (e-mail, phone +49 (0) 251 83-24024).
If you have not received a confirmation of receipt from the ULB Open Access team two weeks after submitting your documents, please contact us by e-mail.
- Invoices are processed in the order of arrival.
- Additionally, make your article available via the university publication server miami. To do so, send us an e-mail to email@example.com, including:
- Your article in PDF/A format
Note: PDF/A files must not have any security settings (e.g. password protection).
Alternatively, you can provide us with the link or DOI to your publication on the publisher's site.
- Consent for the publication of a digital publication
We will inform you as soon as your article has been published on miami.
Overview of articles supported by the open access publication fund