Special Projects and Groups
Analysis of "Food supplements" - Botanicals
Research Network Natural Products against Neglected Diseases
Graduate School of Natural Products
Junior research groups: Dr. Spiegler / Dr. Herrmann
- Isolation of natural products
- Bioassay-guided fractionation
- Structural elucidation
- Molecular modeling
- Multivariate data analysis
- Chromatography (DC, U(H)PLC, FPLC, GC, GC-MS, HPLC-IEC)
- Spectroscopic methods (UV, CD, NMR, MS)
- Electrophoretic methods (CE, gel electrophoresis)
- Immunochemical methods (ELISA, FACS, ELLA, Western- and Immunoblot)
- Molecular biological methods (PCR, real-time RCR)
- Bioassay-accompanying analysis
- Extract characterization / Batch compliance
- Microscopic examinations
- Reference substances
The questions arising in the context of phytopharmacy and related fields (food supplements, cosmetics, alternative therapies, etc.) can sometimes be very complex and range from basic research problems to practical clinical, toxicological or production and marketing developments.
In order to be able to work on projects comprehensively, a network of different groups has been established, which tries to handle the whole range of necessary R&D topics hand in hand together and in direct contact with the economic partners. Different working groups from clinical dermatology, oral surgery, microbiology, molecular biology, process technology, market research and quality management areas work hand in hand to ensure efficient project handling.
- in vitro screening
- Skin and mucosa (keratinocytes, fibroblasts, skin models, hepatocytes, CaCo-2)
- Antiadhesive agents (against Helicobacter, Campylobacter, Candida, Porphyromonas, UPEC)
- Hepatoprotection, hepatostimulation (HepG2)
- Cell toxicity (in vitro, keratinocytes, hepatocytes)
- Cell physiology (in vitro, ex vivo, in situ)
- Cell toxicity, cell stimulation, cell differentiation
- Mechanistic, biochemical and molecular studies, receptor studies, signal transduction pathways
- Experimental cultivation of medicinal and food plants (seed, cultivation, propagation, field cultivation)
- Voucher plant expertise
- Show / Garden tours
- Food supplements ("Botanicals") and cosmetics (analysis, consulting and expert opinions)
The research concept
The institute has the infrastructure and human resources to efficiently and successfully carry out excellent basic research and application-oriented R&D projects and service contracts with partners from industry. The high number of projects completed so far with industry is the best reference for our performance.
The many years of experience, the references from successful industrial projects and the independence guarantee an efficient processing of services at the latest state of the art and at the highest level. Projects are not only seen as academic basic research, but as tasks of daily practice with highest reference to actual realization and applicability.
The institute offers different forms of cooperation and helps to solve scientific problems of the daily business in a fast and innovative way: Feasibility studies, student term papers and theses, doctoral theses incl. implementation of the results into practice, services.