Funding for articles in open access journals
Funding from the Open Access Publication Fund is subject to the following conditions:
- The articles are published in "pure" Open Access journals: The journal articles are accessible to users free of charge via the Internet immediately upon publication.
- The journal applies the strict quality assurance procedures recognized in the respective subject (e.g., journals listed in the Directory of Open Access Journals). More information on how to check the quality of a journal.
- Only articles for which a member of the University of Münster is responsible for paying the publication fees as "submitting author" or "corresponding author" will be funded.
Since January 1st, 2023, funding for employees at teaching hospitals of the WWU who are not also members the WWU or the UKM is no longer possible.
- Since January 1st, 2023, the corresponding and submitting authors of the articles in question who are members of the University of Münster have to have an ORCID iD. (Decision of the university's Licensing Committee in October 2022)
- Only such articles are funded that are published under a Creative Commons CC-BY license. If journals offer a choice between an in-house licence and a CC license, the CC one has to be choosen. This applies e.g. in case of the Journal of the Optical Society of America (OSA) or the Journal of the Amercan Meterological Socienty (AMS).
- From 01.06.2022 on, there will be no limit on the amount of publication fees. The costs for all articles will be distributed to the ULB and the faculties in the following year according to the distribution principles determined by the WWU License Commission. The ULB bears one third of up to €2,000 per article, while the departments bear two thirds of the amount up to €2,000 as well as any costs above this per article.
- Only requests for refunds where the invoice date of the original invoice from the publisher is no more than 90 days ago can be considered.
- Articles funded by the Publication Fund must include a reference to the support (e.g., "We acknowledge support from the Open Access Publication Fund of the University of Münster.").
- Articles appearing in so-called hybrid journals – requiring subscription, e.g., "Open Choice" model) or in Mirror Journals are not eligible.
If your publication is part of a DFG-funded project, please contact us so that we can check whether funding from the Publication Fund is possible.
If you have published an article in an Open Access journal, you first have to pay the invoice and then submit a refunding request to the Open Access fund. If you have any questions, we are happy to help even before the article is published. Please note the following instructions regarding the process to ensure a speedy refund:
- You publish in an open access journal that meets the above mentioned requirements.
- Details for the invoice:
- Enter your name and your institute of the university or the clinical center with address as billing address.
- Please have the title of the article put on the invoice.
- Please make sure that invoices from other European countries do not include VAT and that the VAT number of the university (DE 126 118 759) or the UKM (DE 212 275 725) is noted.
- If you have not paid the bill through an institution account, but have made private advance payments, please note:
- We can only reimburse invoices issued to us by the UKM or an institute of the WWU. For you, this means: You must have the costs refunded by the UKM or your institute, and the UKM or your institute can then recover the costs through the fund.
- For reimbursement, send the documents to the ULB Münster (Krummer Timpen 3, 48143 Münster) for the attention of Dr. Viola Voß or Jessica Thomas. At the ULB, a formal check will be made once again to ensure that all conditions are met before payment is made. Please submit the following documents:
- an invoice for the refund of publication fees (Example)
- a copy of the original invoice from the publisher
- a proof of payment, e.g. credit card/booking receipt (incl. VAT payment).
If you have any questions regarding invoice details, please contact Mr. Rafalski (e-mail, phone +49 (0) 251 83-24024).
- Invoices are processed in the order of arrival until the funds from the publication fund are exhausted.
- Additionally, make your article available via the university publication server miami. To do so, send us an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, including:
- Your article in PDF/A format
Note: PDF/A files must not have any security settings (e.g. password protection).
Alternatively, you can provide us with the link or DOI to your publication on the publisher's site.
- Consent for the publication of a digital publication
We will inform you as soon as your article has been published on miami.
- In addition, you should add your article in the research portal of the WWU.
Overview of articles supported by the Open Access Publication Fund