Lecturers, organization, dates & exams
ITP, Wilhelm-Klemm-Straße 9, 48149 Münster, room 318
Tel.: +49 251 83-34948, email: heitger(at)uni-muenster.de
Dates & locations
Lecture Thu., 13:15–14:00 IG 1, HS 2 Start: Thu., 20.04.2017, 13:15 Tutorials Mon.–Fri., 14:15–15:45 IG 1, R 745
AC/PC, W 409 & W 410
Start: Mon., 24.04.2017
Certificate of performance
Active participation in the tutorials, successfully solving and handing in problems and passing the exam. It takes place on 27.07.2017, 13:00–15:00, in HS 1 of IG 1.
Contents & literature
Contents of the lecture
- Fundamentals of computers, operating systems and programming languages
- Representation of numbers and machine accuracy
- Basics of programming in Fortran
- Transfer of physical problems into algorithmic forms
- Numerical solution of non-linear equations
- Numerical differentiation and integration
- Representation and modeling of data
- S.J. Chapman: Fortran 95/2003 for Scientists and Engineers (McGraw-Hill)
- P.L. DeVries, J.E. Hasbun: A First Course in Computational Physics (Jones and Bartlett)
- J.D. Faires, R.L. Burden: Numerische Methoden – Näherungsverfahren und ihre praktische Anwendung (Spektrum Akademischer Verlag)
- R.H. Landau, M.J. Páez, C.C. Bordeianu: Computational Physics – Problem Solving with Computers (Wiley-VCH)
- H.R. Schwarz, N. Köckler: Numerische Mathematik (Vieweg+Teubner); eBook on SpringerLink
- W.H. Press, S.A. Teukolsky, W.T. Vetterling, B.P. Flannery: Numerical Recipes in Fortran/C – The Art of Scientific Computing (Cambridge University Press)
Further references to literature are given in the lecture.
All materials, problem sheets and further information about the lecture are provided on the Learnweb and can be viewed and/or downloaded there. The solved problems are ideally handed in by uploading to the Learnweb as well. Correspondingly, all participating students should register as course participants on the Learnweb. This registration requires the central username and the course password which is given in the lecture.
The registration for the tutorials and their allocation takes place during the first lecture on Thursday, 20.04.2017, 13:15.