URL of this page:
CCE: cartae cluniacenses electronicae
CCE is based upon the edition of the charters of the monastery of Cluny:
History of the project
After the release of the 6th volume in 1903 the edition of 5500 charters of the monastery of Cluny was to be made accessible by an additional register volume. The preparatory work of Alexandre Bruel († 1920) was a cornerstone to a substantial card index with thousand of entries of names of persons and places, which developed in the decades after WW II. Paul Marichal, Jean Richard, Maurice Chaume and at last Madeleine Oursel-Quarre († 2000) contributed to its completion. This collection was to become the basis for an index of names of persons and places allowing their identification, the publication of which should have been supported by the Comité des travaux historiques. Today the material is situated in the Bibliothèque municipale in Dijon where it is already used by many medievalists.
In connection with the research on the necrologies of Cluny at the Institute for Early Medieval Studies in Münster and at the SFB 7 "Medieval Studies" (Visual representation, interpretation of meaning, objects, terms and language, prosopography) the names of persons in the charters of Cluny were gathered electronically for the first time in order to compare them to the entries in the necrologies.
Since 1985 in line with a project of law history, Josette Metmann († 1986) and Michel Petitjean of the Centre Georges Chevrier, Université de Bourgogne, Dijon have collected names of places from these charters for the database system SOCRATE.
Out of the single datasets of those preceding projects, the Institute for Early Medieval Studies and the Centre Georges Chevrier mutually have developed an ORACLE-database since 1990. It did not only contain names of places and persons which had already been identified, but also the texts of the charters itself.
The database which is offered here is one part of this preparatory work. Its technical development was realized at the Institute for Early Medieval Studies The editing of data was provided by Maria Hillebrandt, Franz Neiske and Michel Petitjean (Dijon), the programming was implemented by Tobias Freund and Franz Neiske on the basis of a MySql-database.
The seal of the abbot Yvo of Cluny on top of this page provides links to two charters of a confraternity between Cluny and the monastery of Abdinghof (Paderborn) in 1270. The original charters are stored at Landesarchiv Nordrhein-Westfalen Abteilung Westfalen Landesarchiv Nordrhein-Westfalen Abteilung Westfalen (formerly: Staatsarchiv Münster). We thank for the permission of publishing them on the internet.
With CCE we provide free access to the texts of the charters for everyone who is interested in the history of the monastery of Cluny. It presents a first step towards a more extensive database with names of persons and places. Even complex requests can be answered due to several possibilities of searching within the database allowing quick access to the content of the charters of Cluny. We hope that this helps to intensify the international research on Cluny.
|©||Tobias Freund||Maria Hillebrandt||Franz Neiske||Michel Petitjean|
Institut für Frühmittelalterforschung
© 2010 Institut für Frühmittelalterforschung