45,000 students and 8,000 employees in teaching, research and administration, all working together to shape perspectives for the future – that is the University of Münster (WWU). Embedded in the vibrant atmosphere of Münster with its high standard of living, the University’s diverse research profile and attractive study programmes draw students and researchers throughout Germany and from around the world.
The Institute of Philosophy (Philosophisches Seminar) in the Faculty 8 (History/ Philosophy) at the University of Münster (WWU), Germany, is seeking to fill the position of a
Postdoctoral Research Associate
(salary level TV-L E 13, 100%)
for an externally funded project in the DFG Priority Programme “ViCom - Visual Communication. Theoretical, Empirical, and Applied Perspectives” (https://vicom.info) commencing on 1 January 2023. We are offering a fixed-term full-time position for 3 years (corresponding to the project’s duration).
- collaboration in the externally funded project „Visual-Spatial Communication. Gestures and Diagrams in the History of Mathematics and Logic“ (https://go.wwu.de/anpro)
- work on the following subjects: visual reasoning and representation, logic diagrams, gestures, sign languages, history of logic (esp. 15th-20th c.), history of mathematics, philosophy of logic, philosophy of mathematics
- collaboration in acquiring additional third-party funding
- PhD in Philosophy or related fields at time of application
- Very good command of written and spoken English
- Substantiated knowledge of logic or mathematics is required
- Solid knowledge of Latin is desirable
- German language skills would be advantageous but are not a requirement
Advantages for you:
- Appreciation, commitment, openness and respect – values which are important to us.
- Our broad range of diverse work-time models offers great flexibility – also when working from home.
- If you have family members or young children in your care, our Family Service Office offers concrete support to help you balance your private and professional responsibilities.
- As an educational institution, we are deeply committed to offering occupational training and continuing education opportunities tailored to your individual needs.
- Our sport and health programmes ensure a healthy work-life balance.
- As a university employee, you are entitled to numerous benefits afforded to public servants, e.g. an attractive company pension scheme (VBL), an annual end-of-year bonus and a position that is shielded from economic fluctuations.
The University of Münster strongly supports equal opportunity and diversity. We welcome all applicants regardless of sex, nationality, ethnic or social background, religion or worldview, disability, age, sexual orientation or gender identity. We are committed to creating family-friendly working conditions. Part-time options are generally available.
The University of Münster is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to increasing the proportion of women academics. Consequently, we actively encourage applications by women. Female candidates with equivalent qualifications and academic achievements will be preferentially considered within the framework of the legal possibilities.
Are you interested? Then we look forward to receiving your application by 10 October 2022 at:
PD Dr. Jens Lemanski
Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster
or electronically in one PDF file at
Please note that we cannot consider other file formats. Candidates should submit a CV including a list of publications.