Rachel Kowert, PhD
- Social competence and online gaming
- Social functions of video game play
- Social motivations of video game use
- Cultural stereotype of online gamers
Bachelor of Arts in Psychologie an der University of Texas, Dallas. 2008 Master oft Arts in Counseling an der Santa Clara University. Seit November 2012 Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiterin im ERC project "The social fabric of virtual life" bei Prof. Dr. Thorsten Quandt. 2014 Abschluss der Promotion an der University of York unter Betreuung von Dr. Julian Oldmeadow mit dem Thema "Gaming in a Social World: Examining the Relationship between Social Competence and Online Video Game Involvement."
Memberships and Service
- Student representative for the Digital Games Research Association (DiGRA), 2011 - present.
- Member of the European Communication Research and Education Association (ECREA)
Publications and Presentations (selection)
- Kowert, R., Domahidi, E., & Quandt, T. (in press). The Relationship between Online Video Game Involvement and Gaming-Related Friendships among Emotionally Sensitive Individuals. Cyberpsychology, Behavior, & Social Networking.
- Kowert, R., Festl, R., and Quandt, T. (in press). Unpopular, Overweight, and Socially Inept: Reconsidering the Stereotype of Online Gamers. Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking
- Kowert, R. and Brown, A. (2013, August). Defragging the Methodology of Games Studies. In Bowman, N., Holopainen, J., and Pearce, C. (Chairs), Defragging the Methodology of Game STudies. Panel presentation at DiGRA 2013: DeFragging Game Studies. Atlanta, Georgia.
- Kowert, R. and Oldmeadow, J. (2013). (A)social reputation: Exploring the Relationship between Online Video Game Involvement and Social Competence. Computers in Human Behavior, 29(4), 1872-1878
- Oldmeadow, J., Quinn, S., and Kowert, R. (2013) Attachment style, social skills and Facebook usage amongst adults. Computers in Human Behavior, 29(3), 1142-1149
- Kowert, R., Griffiths, M., and Oldmeadow, J. (2012) “Geek or Chic? Emerging Stereotypes of Online Gamers”. Bulletin of Science, Technology and Society, 32 (6), 471-479
- Kowert, R. and Oldmeadow, J. (2012, October). (A)Social Reputation: Exploring the Relationship between Game Involvement and Social Competence. Paper presented at ECREA Pre-conference Experiencing Digital Games: Use, Effects, and Culture of Gaming, Istanbul.
- Kowert, R. and Oldmeadow, J. (2012, June) The Stereotype of Online Gamers: New Characterization or Recycled Prototype? Nordic DiGRA: Games in Culture and Society conference proceedings, Tampere.
- Kowert, R. and Oldmeadow, J. (2010, July). Party Animal or Dinner for One: Are Online Gamers Socially Inept? Paper presented at multi.player conference, Hohenheim.
- Kowert, R. and Oldmeadow, J. (2010, June). Geek or Chic: Perceptions of Online Gamers. Paper presented at Under the Mask, Luton.