DE | EN
Dr. Karsten Mause
Office hours: by appointment. Please schedule an appointment here
Karsten Mause is Senior Lecturer in Political Economy at the University of Muenster, Germany. Before joining WWU Muenster, he worked as a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Bremen's research center "Transformations of the State" (SFB 597), funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG). He holds a Master's degree in Political Science and a Ph.D. in Economics from the University of Marburg. His research focuses on various subfields of Political Economy as a multidisciplinary research field and has been published in the American Journal of Economics & Sociology, Constitutional Political Economy, European Journal of Law & Economics, Journal of Socio-Economics, Legislative Studies Quarterly, and other social science journals and books.
Curriculum Vitae: CV
Personal Website: www.karsten-mause.com
Research & Teaching Areas:
- Political Economy: The Relationship between Politics and the Economy
- Public Policy Analysis (esp. Economic Policy, Fiscal Policy, Education Policy)
- The Behavior of Politicians, Interest Groups, and Citizens
- Governance Research: Tools of Government / Forms of Governance
Current Research Projects:
- Delegation and Accountability: The Governance of the Political System
- Education Policy between State and Market: The Governance of Higher Education
- Mause, Karsten (2020). Political Economy. In: Alain Marciano & Giovanni B. Ramello (Eds.): Encyclopedia of Law & Economics. 2nd edition. New York: Springer, forthcoming. [PDF]
- Geys, Benny & Mause, Karsten (2020). Politicians. In: Alain Marciano & Giovanni B. Ramello (Eds.): Encyclopedia of Law & Economics. 2nd edition. New York: Springer, forthcoming. [PDF]
- Mause, Karsten (2019). Governing Public-Private Partnerships: The Problem of Low-Cost Decisions. Journal of Infrastructure, Policy and Development, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 261-270.
- Mause, Karsten (2018). Governing the Market for Sovereign Bailouts. In: Giuseppe Eusepi & Richard E. Wagner (Eds.): Debt Default and Democracy. Cheltenham, UK and Northampton, MA, USA: Edward Elgar Publishing, pp. 17-35.
- Mause, Karsten & Gröteke, Friedrich (2017). The Economic Approach to European State Aid Control: A Politico-Economic Analysis. Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 185-201.
- Geys, Benny & Mause, Karsten (2016). The Limits of Electoral Control: Evidence from Last-Term Politicians. Legislative Studies Quarterly, Vol. 41, No. 4, pp. 873-898.
- Höfer, Dennis & Mause, Karsten (2015). Public Events as Public Bads. Homo Oeconomicus - Journal of Behavioral and Institutional Economics, Vol. 32, No. 3/4, pp. 401-426.
- Crössmann, Katharina & Mause, Karsten (2015). Rail Subsidisation in the European Union: An Issue Beyond Left and Right? Comparative European Politics, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 471-492.
- Geys, Benny & Mause, Karsten (2014). Are Female Legislators Different? Exploring Sex Differences in German MPs' Outside Interests. Parliamentary Affairs, Vol. 67, No. 4, pp. 841-865.
- Mause, Karsten (2014). Self-Serving Legislators? An Analysis of the Salary-Setting Institutions of 27 EU Parliaments. Constitutional Political Economy, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 154-176.
- Geys, Benny & Mause, Karsten (2013). Moonlighting Politicians: A Survey and Research Agenda. Journal of Legislative Studies, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 76-97.
Full list of Publications:
Summer term 2020
The Political Economy of Lobbying | Master's course
Introduction to Economic Policy | Bachelor's course
Political Economy II | "Integrative Module" of Bachelor's degree program "Politics and Economics"
Winter term 2019/2020
Introduction to Economic Policy | Bachelor's course (Course 1)
Introduction to Economic Policy | Bachelor's course (Course 2)
Lobbying today: Channels of Influence and Regulation | Master's course
Political Economy I | "Integrative Module" of Bachelor's degree program "Politics and Economics"