Karsten Mause is Senior Lecturer in Political Economy at the University of Muenster (Germany) and a postdoctoral researcher in the interdisciplinary research network "Cultures of Compromise". Before joining U Muenster, he worked as a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Bremen's research center "Transformations of the State" (SFB 597), funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG). He holds a Master's degree in Political Science and a Ph.D. in Economics from the University of Marburg. His research focuses on various subfields of Political Economy / Politische Ökonomie as a multidisciplinary research field and has been published in the American Journal of Economics & Sociology, Constitutional Political Economy, European Journal of Law & Economics, Journal of Socio-Economics, Legislative Studies Quarterly, and other social science journals and books.
Curriculum Vitae: Download CV (pdf)
Personal Website: www.karsten-mause.com
- Political Economy: The (changing) role of the state in society
- Democratic Politics & Political Accountability: Lobbying, corruption, and the (mis)conduct of policymakers
- Policy Analysis & Governance Research: Education policy between state and market
- 2001: M.A. Political Science (minor: Economics), University of Marburg, Germany
- 2006: Ph.D. Economics, University of Marburg
- 2023: Habilitation Political Science (venia legendi, postdoctoral lecture qualification), University of Münster, Germany
- winter term 2023/2024: Interim Professor of Political Science/Comparative Politics, University of Münster, Germany
- since 2022: Post-Doctoral Researcher, Research Network "Cultures of Compromise"
- since 2019: Senior Lecturer in Political Economy, University of Münster (on leave winter term 2023/2024)
- 2012-2019: Assistant Professor of Political Economy (non-tenure-track, fixed-term W1-Professorship), University of Münster
- 02-03/2013: Visiting Fellow, Johns Hopkins University, American Institute for Contemporary German Studies (AICGS), Washington, D.C., USA
- 07/2012: Visiting Scholar, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Rotterdam Institute of Law & Economics (RILE), Netherlands
- 2008-2012: Post-Doctoral Researcher, TranState Research Centre (SFB 597 "Transformations of the State"), University of Bremen, Germany
- 2006-2008: Post-Doctoral Researcher, European Academy of Technology and Innovation Assessment (EA), Neuenahr-Ahrweiler, Germany
- 2001-2006: Pre-Doctoral Researcher, Department of Economics, University of Marburg, Germany
Curriculum Vitae (pdf)
- Mause, Karsten & Polk, Andreas (Eds.) (2023). The Political Economy of Lobbying: Channels of Influence and their Regulation. New York: Springer, forthcoming. [Table of Contents]
- Polk, Andreas & Mause, Karsten (Eds.) (2023). Handbuch Lobbyismus. Wiesbaden: Springer VS.
- Mause, Karsten (2019). Political Economy. In: Alain Marciano & Giovanni B. Ramello (Eds.): Encyclopedia of Law & Economics. New York: Springer, pp. 1599-1606. [PDF]
- Mause, Karsten; Müller, Christian & Schubert, Klaus (Eds.) (2018). Politik und Wirtschaft: Ein integratives Kompendium. Berlin/Heidelberg: Springer.
- Geys, Benny & Mause, Karsten (2016). The Limits of Electoral Control: Evidence from Last-Term Politicians. Legislative Studies Quarterly 41(4): 873-898. [PDF]
- Höfer, Dennis & Mause, Karsten (2015). Public Events as Public Bads. Homo Oeconomicus - Journal of Behavioral & Institutional Economics 32(3/4): 401-426. [PDF]
- Geys, Benny & Mause, Karsten (2014). Are Female Legislators Different? Exploring Sex Differences in German MPs' Outside Interests. Parliamentary Affairs 67(4): 841-865. [PDF]
- Mause, Karsten (2014). Self-Serving Legislators? An Analysis of the Salary-Setting Institutions of 27 EU Parliaments. Constitutional Political Economy 25(2): 154-176. [PDF]
- Geys, Benny & Mause, Karsten (2013). Moonlighting Politicians: A Survey and Research Agenda. Journal of Legislative Studies 19(1): 76-97. [PDF]
- Mause, Karsten (2010). Considering Market-Based Instruments for Consumer Protection in Higher Education. Journal of Consumer Policy 33(1): 29-53. [PDF]
- Mause, Karsten (2008). The Tragedy of the Commune: Learning from Worst-Case Scenarios. Journal of Socio-Economics 37(1): 308-327. [PDF]
- Mause, Karsten (2007). Konsumentenschutz im Hochschulbereich. Unvollständige Nachfragerinformation, Marktversagen und markt-basierte Schutzmechanismen.
Berlin: Duncker & Humblot. [doctoral dissertation, University of Marburg, PDF]
- Heine, Klaus & Mause, Karsten (2004). Policy Advice as an Investment Problem.
Kyklos - International Review for Social Sciences 57(3): 403-428. [PDF]
Full list of publications: