The multifunctional Student ID chip card
The University of Münster, the Münster University of Applied Sciences and the Studierendenwerk Münster (Student Support Services) jointly introduced a new multifunctional student ID chip card in summer semester 2017. By the end of March, all students should have received their new cards.
The student ID card can be used for the following purposes:
- Student ID card
By presenting your student ID card, you identify yourself as a student of the University of Münster. Your student ID also entitles you to concessions at public facilities, such as the municipal swimming pools.
- Library user ID card
Your student ID also doubles as a library user ID for use at the University Library (ULB). On the back of your student ID card, you will find your personal ULB user number printed under the bar code. For security reasons, this ULB user number must be activated one time only.
- Copy card
With your student ID card, you can print and make copies on any of the 300 multifunctional devices available in the University's libraries, institutes and central buildings.
- Mensa card
Your new student ID card replaces the separate Mensa card of the Studierendenwerk Münster. You can purchase meals and beverages at all dining halls and bistros at the University at the student rate.
The copy card and Mensa card functions may not be available at the beginning of the summer semester as the card readers in the dining halls and the multifunctional printers still require modifications. Consequently, students may continue using their old student IDs and Mensa cards until the required updates have been carried out.
Students may not be able to immediately use their copy card and Mensa card functions at the beginning of the summer semester as the card readers in the dining halls and the multifunctional devices still require modifications.
- Students may continue using their old student IDs and Mensa cards until the required updates have been implemented.
- Newly enrolled students who do not possess an old Mensa card will initially have to pay in cash at all dining halls and bistros. To receive the student rate, they must present their new student ID card at the register.
- The payment function in the multifunctional devices (copiers) will only work with the old Mensa cards until the necessary modifications are completed on the card readers (sometime at the end of April/beginning of May)
- Before then, newly enrolled students who do not possess an old Mensa card will have to use the coin-operated multifunctional devices at:
- Universitäts- und Landesbibliothek (ULB), Krummer Timpen 3 – 5,
Opening hours: Mon – Fri, 8 am to 12 am, location: basement level 1, stacks
Location: 1st floor, reading room lobby
- Rechtswissenschaftliches Seminar (Faculty of Law Library), Dept. Civil and Public Law,
Universitätsstr. 14 – 16,
Location: level 00, Rm. 059
- Rechtswissenschaftliches Seminar (Faculty of Law Library), Dept. Criminal Law, Bispinghof 24-25,
Opening hours: Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri, 8 am to 10 pm, Wed, 10 am to 10 pm
Location: 1st floor, Rm. 104
- Organic Chemistry Institute, Wilhelm-Klemm-Straße 6,
Location: ground floor, Rm. 210
- Universitäts- und Landesbibliothek (ULB), Krummer Timpen 3 – 5,
For more details on how to use the copy card and Mensa card, visit the website of the Studierendenwerk Münster.
Newly enrolled students will automatically receive their new student ID by post as soon as they have uploaded a photo and transferred payment of the semester fee to the University Cash Office account.
If you have any questions or encounter technical problems, please contact the Student Admissions Office at:
Activating the library card function
The easiest way to activate the library card function is through online activation. Log onto the page www.ulb.uni-muenster.de/studierendenkarte/aktivierung and enter your ZIV user name. In the next step, enter your ULB user ID number. That's it! After submitting the data, the system will inform you when your card will likely be activated. Later, you will receive notification by email, informing you that activation is completed and that you can use your student ID as a ULB library card.
Of course, you can also activate your library user card in person at the ULB service counters. In this case, make sure to bring an official photo ID (personal ID card, passport) and your student ID card. The activation process only takes a few minutes. The service is offered free of charge at the following locations and times:
- Main library: Mon – Wed, Fri, 10 am – 1 pm and 3 pm – 5 pm, Thu, 10 am – 1 pm and 3 pm – 7 pm
- Branch library for Social Sciences, Scharnhorststr. 103-109: Mon – Fri, 9 am – 1 pm
- Branch library for Medicine, Domagkstr. 9: Mon – Fri, 8 am – 4:30 pm
Other important information:
An info flyer containing additional information is available at the ULB service counters (Krummer Timpen 3), e.g. how long your card is valid, what to do in case of loss, and safety precautions. You can also download the flyer at: www.ulb.uni-muenster.de/studierendenkarte [de].
If you have further questions please contact the circulation team (0251/83-24032, Mon.-Fri. 8am-5:30pm Uhr oder email@example.com).
In case of loss or theft
If you lose your card or believe that it has been stolen, please inform the lending desk at the ULB immediately. You may also notify us during working hours by phone at +49 (0)251 83-24032 (or at -24027 on evenings and at weekends). If you lose your card and fail to have it blocked immediately, you will be held liable for any expenses resulting from its improper use by third parties. Therefore, please take good care of your student ID card and protect it from damages.
Requesting a replacement card
- If you need a new copy of your student ID card, you can request a replacement by bringing an official photo ID to the Student Admissions Office or submitting a corresponding written request.
- You will have to activate your replacement card at the University Library (ULB) one time only.
- The University of Münster charges a 15-euro fee for issuing replacement student ID cards. This fee must be transferred to the University Cash Office account within two weeks after receipt of the card. Instructions for payment are provided (or sent by post) together with the new card.
If your card becomes damaged, you may exchange it for a new card at no charge.
Making changes or corrections to your name
If you wish to correct or change the name printed on your card, you may exchange it with a revised card at no additional charge.
Any credit remaining on the chip card will be automatically transferred to the new card.
Data protection / Validity
- No personal data is stored on the chip of your student ID card. Your uploaded photo file is only used for producing the card and is not forwarded to third parties.
- Your student ID card is valid every semester for up to six years. Shortly before your card expires, you will be automatically issued a new card which will be sent to you by post.
- You must return your card to the Student Admissions Office as soon as your membership at the University of Münster is terminated, i.e. upon exmatriculation.
- Student ID cards without photos are only valid when presented together with an official photo ID.