Anyone wishing to embark on a German-taught course of study at Münster University must provide evidence of adequate German language skills. For most German-taught programmes, applicants need to provide evidence of German language skills at DSH-2-level. Please note that for some programmes, a lower (DSH-1) or higher (DSH-3) German language level is required. Before applying, please check which German language level is required for the degree programme you wish to apply for: Further information on German language requirements
We accept the following certificates as proof of German language skills:
DSH-3-level (required for medicine & dentistry):
- Test DaF level 5 in all skills
- Feststellungsprüfung: grade between 1,0-2,4 in German
DSH-2-level (required for most German-taught degree courses)
- A DSH-2 or DSH-3 certificate acquired at a German university or Studienkolleg in accordance with the regulations issued by the University Rectors Conference. DSH stands for Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (German Language Examination for University Entrance).
- TestDaF level 4 in all four skills:www.testdaf.de
- Deutsches Sprachdiplom (German Language Diploma) as laid down by the Conferenceof the Ministers of Education, Level II
- Goethe-Zertifikat C2 (issued by the Goethe Institute from 2012 onwards)
- Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung (Central Examination, Advanced Level, issued by the Goethe Institute until December 2011)
- Kleines/großes deutsches Sprachdiplom (Standard/Advanced German Language Diploma, issued by the Goethe Institute until December 2011)
- UNIcert-certificate, Levels III and IV
DSH 2 or DSH 3, acquired at a foreign university under the responsibility of a department of a German university
TELC C1 Hochschule
DSH-1-level (required for physics and some musical subjects)
- TestDaF certificate level 3 in all skills
No German language skills are required for our English-taught master degree courses as well as our English-taught Bachelor course in " Human movement in sports and exercise".
Preparing for the DSH examination
The Language Centre at Münster University offers a language course for international students to prepare them for the DSH examination. Please note that a basic knowledge of German is required in order to take part in this course.
The intensive language courses cost € 500 per semester. Since language course participants get enroled at the University of Münster, they also have to pay the regular semester charge (the "Semesterbeitrag") of currently approx. € 270 every semester.
Language course participants who pass the DSH examination at the end of the course and then start a degree programme at the University of Münster will get a refund of the course fee (not the semester charges) at the beginning of their second study semester.
Fee-based language courses in Münster
Information on fee-based language courses in Münster can be found through the following link:
Fee-based language courses
Possibilities of exemption
Exemption from the DSH examination
If you provide evidence that you have had at least three years of intensive German tuition in the final phase of your school education, with at least adequate grades, and that you are competent in oral communication – or that you have graduated in German – it will be considered whether an exemption from the DSH examination is possible. In such a case please contact the Department of German as a Foreign Language at the Language Centre, some time in advance, to request an appropriate attestation for your application.
Contact the Language Centre – Department of German as a Foreign Language