For international doctoral candidates in the area of literary studies there are current scholarship positions available at the GSPoL, in cooperation with the Graduate School Scholarship Programme (GSSP) of the DAAD (Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst).
Participating areas of study: English/American Studies, Arabic/Islamic Studies, Baltic Studies, Book Studies, German Studies, Comparative Studies, Latin Philology/Studies, Dutch Studies, Scandinavian Studies, Romance Studies, Sinology, Slavonic Studies.
The following three areas are to be emphasized in the individual doctoral dissertations:
1. Literature and Society
(The relationship between Literary Studies, Social Theories, Cultural Theories and Studies, and Literature)
2. Theories of Literature
(Philosophy of Science, History and Theory of Literature, Literary Theories)
3. Putting the Study of Literature into Practice
(Occupationally-oriented areas that apply Literary Studies, the literary marketplace, key qualifications, the relationship between Literary Theory and professional practice)
Curriculum: Lectures/series of talks, colloquia, group projects, workshops, practical training, academic teaching
Mentoring: Each doctoral candidate will have an individual, interdisciplinary support group consisting of three members. A written agreement regarding the mentoring will be made and an individual work and time schedule will be established. The respective professors will assist in applying for scholarships.
Requirements: A qualifying degree at the level of Master/Magister/Staatsexamen (minimum grade: “gut”/B),
in exceptional cases a Bachelor’s degree (minimum grade: “sehr gut”/A). Good German Language Skills.
Application deadlines for winter/summer semester
- May 31st / November 30th: application
- July / February: Personal interview
Format of the application
Applications for the Graduate School must be submitted in written form (preferably via email as pdf file) and have to include:
- Proof that the applicant has completed a qualifying course of studies - the degree awarded must at least be 2,0 (B) or better (according to § 5, Abs. 1 and 2 of the study regulations); and proof of language abilities according to appendix A (Anhang A) of the study regulations.
- Curriculum vitae (without photograph)
- A letter of motivation explaining the application at the GS PoL
- A detailed project proposal of the planned dissertation about 10 pages in length, including a concrete description of aims and contents, relevance within literary scholarship and method of the research project, as well as a detailed work and time schedule
- Two letters of reference. If the applicant holds a Bachelor’s degree or has completed a first course of studies with a regular duration of less than eight semesters, three references must be submitted.
Please address applications to
Prof. Dr. Lut Missinne
Graduate School 'Practices of Literature'
WWU Münster, Fachbereich 09 (Philologie)
c/o Germanistisches Institut
Please send your application via e-mail to
For more information please contact
Elisabeth Zimmermann (Coordination Office of the GSPoL)